When it comes to purging, most people put it off and its just simply not a fun thing to do! It's hard to see all of the "stuff" we've accumulate and getting rid of it seems to be such a hassle! Here are a couple tips to help making purging a little bit easier! Getting rid of unused items doesn't need to be such a daunting task!
De-cluttering doesn't have to be done all at once! Start with one closet or cupboard. Who's says that the reorganizing has to happen all in one day? Begin by taking everything out of the space and sort the items into three different piles.
1. Keep- Items that are still useful to you, but pay attention, those items may become things you don't use anymore!
2. Donate- items that are still useful that just don't have any use to you anymore. You can take them to goodwill, or you may consider consigning them! Kellie's Consignments is a great place for that ;)
3. Trash- items that aren't even worth keeping! Damaged or too dirty to recover, there is a special place for them, the trash! Also consider if these items can be recycled instead of taken directly to the landfill!
Purging around the house can be a more than once a year or a month! Practicing it weekly will help your house be more tidy and less cluttered!
One of our main goals at Kellie's Consignments is to keep clothes affordable and out of the landfill! Textile waste occupies 5% of landfills. Together we can decrease that percentage! I urge you to consider consigning your clothes instead of just throwing them in the trash. Consigning is a great opportunity for you to earn a little extra cash and save the environment a little bit more.
Winter means layering up! Make sure to keep yourself comfortable in all environments. From the walk to your car to sitting in your office, clothing is so important in everyday life! Here are some essentials to get your through the winter!
1. Skinny Jeans: So easy to layer on top of, matches with almost any shoe!
2. Sweaters: Big and bulky or form fitting, whatever matches your style best!
3. Hats: A little something to keep you warm and adds an accessory to your outfit!
4. Statement Coat: Why not add a pop of color to your black outfit?
5. Boots: Warm and bold, the perfect combo!
6. Wrap Scarf: Another layer, and effortlessly cute!
7. Turtleneck: Keeping you warm and perfect with a cute necklace!
8. Tights: For under those dresses that simply wouldn't be possible to wear in the winter!
9. Sweater Dress: So cozy for a day at the office!
10. Vests: For over top of your warm sweaters
1. Shopping consignment stores reduces amount of waste that goes to the landfill!
Americans throw away an average of 70lbs of textile waste a year, shopping and consigning your unwanted clothing decreases the amount of clothing put in a landfill!
2. Shopping Consignment is much nicer on the wallet!
Clothing that has been used is much more affordable with similar quality as brand new clothing!
3. Shopping Consignment supports your community!
Money is kept in the community when you spend it in your community! Consignment stores in general help put the money back in the original owners of the item's hands
4. Shopping Consignment grows a small business!
Supporting a small business helper entrepenuaers reach their goals of serving the community. It is also creates jobs that are more meaningful for the employee!
5. Shopping Consignment creates a more unique closet!
Consignment stores are full of unique pieces that are not always in the stores that everyone else shops at! Every person has the opportunity to find one of a kind clothing items when they shop at a consignment store, a great way to create your own style!
1. A sweater dress to be warm and cozy
All you need is some tall boots and some cute accessories!
2. Some sequins to spice it up a bit
Nothing says sassy like sequins, try making a statement with your Holiday outfit!
3. Pick a color and run with it
For the Holidays pick red or green, you'll look dashing!
4. Rock that metallic look!
Perfect for an office Holiday party or a night out with the girls!
5. Naughty or Nice
For your Christmas Eve Cocktail party!
Even if you no longer love the items in your closet, it’s important to keep them looking nice if you’re going to consign them later. We require that every item brought to us be in good condition. To ensure the quality of your clothes, try out a few of these practices:
1. Air dry - Tumbling can beat up your clothing & wear it out faster. Try draping your clothing over a drying rack. (This is also great for preventing shrinkage!)
2. Wash similar fabrics together - Texture matters! Imagine the effect jean rubbing on lace might have, or corduroy on anything that isn’t corduroy. Oh boy. Try using a delicates bag with clothing of different textures or stick with the ‘separate loads’ method that works so well with colors.
3. Lay flat to dry - While clothing racks work really well with certain types of clothing, others can lose their shape when they’re weighted down. Even if it takes a little longer, this drying method will keep your clothing in their best form.
4. Baking soda & vinegar - You have them tucked into your pantry anyways, why not give them another job? Go natural by using baking soda to bleach your clothing and vinegar to keep them soft.
5. Flip denim & go cold - We all notice when the ink from our jeans leaks onto other pieces of clothing… Try flipping your jeans inside-out and flipping the temperature of the water to COLD. These steps will prevent any fading from your jeans and keep everything else safe.
6. Waterproof (snowproof) your items - Suede spray & leather spray are your best friends. Make sure your items have a protective layer from the rain & (especially in Michigan) the snow.
7. Don’t jam the washer - If you’re the person who waits until their laundry basket is overflowing, you might have to take on a little patience for the sake of your clothes. Clothing needs to be able to move around without being pressed together, which may require a few loads!
8. Use the right hangers - Padded hangers are best for delicate/lightweight clothing, while wood hangers work for heavier pieces. The #1 thing to avoid are wire hangers in order to keep your clothing in the best condition.
9. Treat stains immediately - They’re unappealing to the eyes. One small stain can sit there and glare at you. To keep a fresh look, consider carrying around a to-go stain remover or treat the stain as soon as you are able to!
10. Using aluminum-free deodorant - Did you know those ominous pit stains on your shirts are actually from the aluminum in your deodorant? Next time you’re at the store opt for a natural, aluminum-free deodorant.
Walking into our shop for the first time, or the moments before deciding to go, can be overwhelming if you’ve never been to a consignment shop before (or even if you have, if we’re being completely honest…)
The first rule to remember is HAVE FUN - we have such a huge variety; if you’re a self-declared ‘window shopper’ this is going to be your haven. The idea behind consignment shops is to allow people who have clothing & other items they never wear or use anymore (still in good condition) to bring it somewhere where others can choose to add to their collection and give that piece a second life.
If you’re ready to clear some room in your closet, here’s what you need to know!
Here at Kellie’s we take consignment items seasonally: February to June are for spring & summer, July to January are for fall & winter. Look through your closets, attic, & other storage to find items that you no longer love but are still in good condition.
Clean it, press it, & hang it!
If you have any decor items to bring in, please make sure they’re appealingly free of chips, scratches, or tarnish.
Once you have all that checked off you’re nearly ready! Collect up to 20 items & bring them on over to Kellie’s. If it’s your first time we’ll have you fill out a brief contract, but all items after that will only require a small slip. Easy!
Consignment shops are unique in that you can find clothing, decor, jewelry, and so on from a range of styles!
The fun of consignment shops is the variety! You’ll be hard-pressed to find the same item every time you go in. To be absolutely cheesy but still accurate, discovering & grabbing any item first is comparable with winning a prize. Try it & you’ll see, otherwise you may never find it again!