1. A sweater dress to be warm and cozy
All you need is some tall boots and some cute accessories!
2. Some sequins to spice it up a bit
Nothing says sassy like sequins, try making a statement with your Holiday outfit!
3. Pick a color and run with it
For the Holidays pick red or green, you'll look dashing!
4. Rock that metallic look!
Perfect for an office Holiday party or a night out with the girls!
5. Naughty or Nice
For your Christmas Eve Cocktail party!
Even if you no longer love the items in your closet, it’s important to keep them looking nice if you’re going to consign them later. We require that every item brought to us be in good condition. To ensure the quality of your clothes, try out a few of these practices:
1. Air dry - Tumbling can beat up your clothing & wear it out faster. Try draping your clothing over a drying rack. (This is also great for preventing shrinkage!)
2. Wash similar fabrics together - Texture matters! Imagine the effect jean rubbing on lace might have, or corduroy on anything that isn’t corduroy. Oh boy. Try using a delicates bag with clothing of different textures or stick with the ‘separate loads’ method that works so well with colors.
3. Lay flat to dry - While clothing racks work really well with certain types of clothing, others can lose their shape when they’re weighted down. Even if it takes a little longer, this drying method will keep your clothing in their best form.
4. Baking soda & vinegar - You have them tucked into your pantry anyways, why not give them another job? Go natural by using baking soda to bleach your clothing and vinegar to keep them soft.
5. Flip denim & go cold - We all notice when the ink from our jeans leaks onto other pieces of clothing… Try flipping your jeans inside-out and flipping the temperature of the water to COLD. These steps will prevent any fading from your jeans and keep everything else safe.
6. Waterproof (snowproof) your items - Suede spray & leather spray are your best friends. Make sure your items have a protective layer from the rain & (especially in Michigan) the snow.
7. Don’t jam the washer - If you’re the person who waits until their laundry basket is overflowing, you might have to take on a little patience for the sake of your clothes. Clothing needs to be able to move around without being pressed together, which may require a few loads!
8. Use the right hangers - Padded hangers are best for delicate/lightweight clothing, while wood hangers work for heavier pieces. The #1 thing to avoid are wire hangers in order to keep your clothing in the best condition.
9. Treat stains immediately - They’re unappealing to the eyes. One small stain can sit there and glare at you. To keep a fresh look, consider carrying around a to-go stain remover or treat the stain as soon as you are able to!
10. Using aluminum-free deodorant - Did you know those ominous pit stains on your shirts are actually from the aluminum in your deodorant? Next time you’re at the store opt for a natural, aluminum-free deodorant.
Walking into our shop for the first time, or the moments before deciding to go, can be overwhelming if you’ve never been to a consignment shop before (or even if you have, if we’re being completely honest…)
The first rule to remember is HAVE FUN - we have such a huge variety; if you’re a self-declared ‘window shopper’ this is going to be your haven. The idea behind consignment shops is to allow people who have clothing & other items they never wear or use anymore (still in good condition) to bring it somewhere where others can choose to add to their collection and give that piece a second life.
If you’re ready to clear some room in your closet, here’s what you need to know!
Here at Kellie’s we take consignment items seasonally: February to June are for spring & summer, July to January are for fall & winter. Look through your closets, attic, & other storage to find items that you no longer love but are still in good condition.
Clean it, press it, & hang it!
If you have any decor items to bring in, please make sure they’re appealingly free of chips, scratches, or tarnish.
Once you have all that checked off you’re nearly ready! Collect up to 20 items & bring them on over to Kellie’s. If it’s your first time we’ll have you fill out a brief contract, but all items after that will only require a small slip. Easy!
Consignment shops are unique in that you can find clothing, decor, jewelry, and so on from a range of styles!
The fun of consignment shops is the variety! You’ll be hard-pressed to find the same item every time you go in. To be absolutely cheesy but still accurate, discovering & grabbing any item first is comparable with winning a prize. Try it & you’ll see, otherwise you may never find it again!